The Museum School's permanent facility is located at 923 Forrest Boulevard, Decatur, GA 30030.
mascot & colors
The Explorer is the school's mascot, as chosen overwhelmingly by students and community members in an open vote. Also selected by vote are the school's uniform colors of pale blue and navy blue.
The Museum School of Avondale Estates is a member of the Georgia Charter Schools Association, an advocate and service provider for all public charter schools in the state. Learn more about GCSA by clicking the logo.
the museum school ...
- Is public, chartered by the DeKalb County Board of Education and open to all students in the attendance zone, based on available space.
- Is free.
- Opened Aug. 9, 2010.
- Includes grades K-5 in the 2012-2013 school year and will add one grade level each year through the eighth grade.
- For the 2012-2013 school year, includes three kindergarten classes, three first-grade classes, three second-grade classes, two third-grade classes and one class each for the fourth and fifth grades
- Limits classroom size to 20 students in grades K-3
- Offers gifted and special education programs.
- Includes exploratory classes, including art, music, language and physical education.
- Begins classes at 8 a.m. and ends classes at 3 p.m. Students may begin arriving at 7:30 a.m.
- Offers an after-school program from 3 p.m. until 6 p.m.
- Has a mandatory uniform policy.
- Does not discriminate in its enrollment procedures or educational programs based on intellectual or athletic ability, aptitude, disability, race, class, gender, family structure, sexual orientation, religion, ancestry, or any other basis prohibited by law.